Saturday, August 6, 2011

The end of the beginning...


Peace Corps Paraguay G36 Training from brittany boroian on Vimeo.


So I swore in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer yesterday.  It's a little surreal. A lot of my buddies have been very caught up in the "Official-ness." Many times people would turn to each other and say something along the lines of, "OMG! We're VOLUNTEERS."  People were really into the word, because until now we were just trainees.  These terms become very important. This is after all government work.

I am almost embarrassed to be less enthusiastic about my official transition. I can relate to my peers joy over the semantics of it, but really I could care less what you call me, so long as I can start keeping my own schedule.

I don't want to be completely blase about this, but my dream wasn't to be a Peace Corps volunteer so much as to live and work abroad and to do work that improves the lives of others. I am over joyed to be given the opportunity to do that. I'm absolutely passionate about the journey I'm going to embark on, but it really hasn't started. I cannot wait for all the stories to come, and the challenges to be had. For me, that's when it'll be official.

The past two months have been crazy! to show you all some of it, above is a video my friend Brittany made. It's a photo montage of our training. I hope you all enjoy. The video is definitely more fun than the training itself.

5 comments:

  1. I think the title you are looking forward to is "community partner".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, Scott. That's gotta be earned, not given though. That's kinda my point.

    PS: When you off to PA?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so cool that your volunteering for the Peace Corps! We are learning about Paraguay in our Spanish class. Are you in Asuncíon? Do the kids learn fast? Is there a lot of them? I hope you have or had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not live in Asuncion. I live 4 hours east of Asuncion in a town called Campo 9. Kids are pretty much the same here as everywhere else. Some learn fast, but most of them learn at their own pace. Yes, there are A LOT of kids. The average age of Paraguay is under 20. I live with 5 kids in my house. All of whom are super awesome!

    ReplyDelete