Monday, May 2, 2011

A wierd day.

Last night I found out about the death of Osama Bin Laden probably how many of you did, via text. I didn't even turn on the news. A simple Google search on an Iphone to confirm, and I moved on. (This morning I watched the news and read the newpaper to catch up.)

While I understand what this man is responsible for, I am uncomfortable celebrating death. This is not to suggest that President Obama, his administration, nor the Navy Seals who executed the mission are immoral in any way. I support them, and am really impressed by the reports I hear of the mission.  And yes, I admit to taking joy in the news. I, as we all were, was deeply affected by September 11th and can't help but be glad that the one responsible for it is now gone.  Nonetheless, I have struggled with the GO USA! status updates, and general jubilee surrounding the event since.

A few minutes after my first reaction of joy, I began to realize a man is dead. Osama Bin Laden was a son and a brother, a husband and a father. He was a bad man, but still a man. So I question, have we gotten justice or merely vengeance?

War is ugly and confusing. It is a quagmire of moral grey area. Immediate morality gives way to righteous causes. Right makes might, blends with might makes right, and soon god is on everybody's side.

I do not mourn the death of Bin Laden, but I'm not ready to dance in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment