Saturday, July 2, 2011

Warning: Kind of a boring post but it explains what I'm actually do here.

So I've been in Paraguay a whole month. It doesn't feel that long, yet it also feels longer. For those of you not familiar with Peace Corps (AKA anyone not involved in PC, and even some of us who are.), I'll give you a general over view of what's going on here.

I currently am only a Trainee. I am not an official volunteer, and such have limited privileges. I don't get to travel on weekends with out permission, and certainly can't spend the night anywhere other than my host site. I don't have a cell phone, nor am I provided internet. So communication with the US is difficult to put it mildly. For the past month, and continuing on for another month, I'm training. Essentially learning how to be an effective volunteer. Also, language classes. Two language at that. Now that I have reached the required level for Spanish I have to start learning Guarani. Words in guarani: Jajotopata, jaha, y, moo gua, mbaejy. I promise I didn't just hit ramdom letters on the key board.

So in a month, I'll move to my actual site, where I'll be living and working the next two years with an absurd amount of freedom. But for now, I'm in school, and treated as such.

PC Has several sectors operating in Paraguay, including health, Ecudation, agriculture, youth development, and Education. My sector is called, Community and economic development. We have 4 focuses: Civic education, Information Technology, Familiy Finance, and Entrepreneurship. When I am assinged my site, I will also be assinge a primary project that Focuses on one of these pillars. I am hoping for entrepreneurship. I think helping people create jobs might be one of the most beneficial things I can do with my time here. I want to help the people of Paraguay but I'd rather teach them to help themselves.

In regards to where I'll be living, I still have no idea. I'm pulling for semi-rual with reasonable bus access. Semi rual allows me to do cool stuff, like milk my neighbors cow and cook with a wood burning stove, but also let me get the hell out of town if needed. Furthermore, In this setting there is enough work to stay busy, but also small enough to get to know your town really well. Even if you still don't get it, just go with me on it.

GOOD NEWS!! There is rock climbing in Paraguay and I have made friends who like to climb. Who knows how good it is, but I'll take what I can get.

This is a boring post, so I'll end it here and make a new more fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment