Friday, October 28, 2011

Cows Seem to Frighten You: A tale of Peace Corps Heroism


This video has made the rounds of Peace Corps for a while now. I don't know if I put this on Facebook, but it's been a big hit amongst volunteers for it's resounding truthiness. Almost every day there is a line that is all too applicable.

Today's reference: Cow's seem to frighten you.



Today I visited my friend Julia's house. She is out of town and I was checking in on her cat. I'm walking through her field to her front door, minding my own business, when, like a ninja, a cow jumps out of no where, apparently not happy with the fact that I'm walkig in her direction. At least I think it was a cow. It had an utter but it also had horns, so maybe it was a hermaphrodite cow. I don't know. I just know that I don't like the idea of something with horns and several times my body weight mad at me.

It's not that I have any real beef with cows. (Pun intended or not? Undecided.) I think they're delicious. The problem is the only time I've had any interaction with a living cow was on a grade school trip to a local farm and that thing was properly penned up and probably sedated. Don't get me wrong, I see cows every day. They're like deer or squirrels here. Co-habitators if you will. You see them, keep walking, and don't bother one another. Clearly I had upset the delicate equilibrium, and this cow wanted to let me know about it.

So what did I do? I did the only sensible thing. I called my friend Julia so that as I walked by the cow to get to her front door, she would be able to hear if I got gored or not. Causing her both to feel guilty for sending me, and be able to call for help.

Obviously it all turned out ok. I called upon all my Peace Corps training - absolutely nothing to do with farm animals - and narrowly escaped to fight another day.  (I think that's a mixed cliche. I've been away from America too long.)

I hope that we all learned a valuable lesson here today: You Tube knows all.

No comments:

Post a Comment